Sunday, January 31, 2010

For Book Lovers and Not So Book Lovers

This blog is going to serve as a book record for me, (Lindsay Eyre), and our family.

We're going to post on here our favorite books. The books we've been reading lately and other book tips, tricks, and adventures.

So here goes:

Two books every adult must read and then read aloud to their kids:

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall (and the sequel)
Freak the Mighty by Rodman Phillbrick (who just won a newberry honor for the mostly true adventures of homer p. figg)

We've been reading aloud Charlotte's Web, and for me, it is a truly accessible book, unusual for a book written so long ago. My kids love it. Read it. Out loud. Again.

I also just read the sequel to The Little Princess, Wishing for Tomorrow written by one of my all-time favorite authors: Hilary McKay (Who wrote the Casson family series--hysterical, wonderful, my favorite) It was very sweet and very much stayed with the Little Princess style.

I am now going to copy another website about book reviews where the woman writes Haiku reviews. Because I love haikus

Rex Zero is smart
Cold War, big family, friends
You'll get sucked in—fast

Okay, that was really bad. I'll get better. Check out www.emilyreads.com for more haiku reviews

Also if you want some fabulous books written by the faculty at Vermont College of Fine Arts where I'm getting my MFA read: Rex Zero and the end of the world; Heck Superhero; Keturah and Lord Death; The Secret Life of Owen; the Several Lives of Orphan Jack, and the Underneath. My faculty advisor for this semester is a picture book author, her most recent book Ballet for Elephants, is wonderful, amazing and a true story.

Enough already!!!

by the way, if you have some reluctant readers, or kids who are learning to read, check out The Poppleton series by Cynthia Rylant or the Commander Toad series by Jane Yolen.

No comments:

Post a Comment