Sunday, August 29, 2010

August 29, 2010

Wow, did I read some great books this week.

I think I've already mentioned this one. For ages eleven and up, particularly great for you western loving mamas out there. I love, love, love this book and I like it's sequel even better.

The Misadventures of Maude March by Audrey Coloumbis.
The Misadventures of Maude March



This book was so good. I finished it and felt so satisfied. I got the chills—its been awhile since a book did that to me. Ages ten and up.

Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff
Pictures of Hollis Woods


In the early chapter book area, I wondered how many of you know about the Pearl and Wagner books by Kate McMullan. I have grown to really love this genre of book (you know, basically picture books with more words and more pages and skinnier). These in particular are wonderful.
Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day (Dial Easy-to-Read)


I thought I would give a shout out to fabulous fairy tale retellings for a little bit in the picture book arena. Do your kids know their fairytales? They need to. So much of the literature they will get when they get into novels will refer to fairytales, but they will usually be plays on fairytales, so if your child doesn't know what the original fairytale was about, they won't get it!

James Marshall has a bunch of fairy tale retellings that are sooooooo droll, and the pictures are fantastic.

The Three Little Pigs (Reading Railroad Books)



And then a classic author your child should not live without, an author who has written so many fairytales and folk tales that are so incredibly great: Paul Galdone
The Monkey and the Crocodile: A Jataka Tale from IndiaThe Little Red Hen Big Book

happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment