Friday, September 30, 2011

I'm back

Well, it's been almost a year since my last post. I've been getting my MFA in writing for children at Vermont College, and I've been swamped, but I've had enough wonderful friends and family tell me that they really did use my blog to select books, that I've decided I need to keep this up again. I must promote good books when so much in the world does not!!!

So here goes,

An absolutely fabulous picture book writer has become an advisor at my program, Tom Birdseye. I really love everything he has written—you can read much of it out loud with a great southern drawl. Here's one particularly great one:

Soap! Soap! Don't Forget the Soap!: An Appalachian Folktale

I also love Airmail to the Moon, which is out of print, but it is absolutely one of my favorite read alouds ever.

For younger middle grade readers, I am going to again bring up Lenore Look, author of the Ruby Lu series and the Alvin Ho series. She has a new book out for both of the series:

Ruby Lu, Star of the ShowAlvin Ho: Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances

Read both to both girls and boys. My boys love Ruby Lu as much as they love Alvin Ho, and this particular round in both series is especially wonderful.

For Older Middle Grade Girls:

I am going to recommend Janette Rallison. Her books are clean, light-hearted romps. Nothing spectacular, but nothing to be embarrassed about. My girls both love her, and my favorite is probably:
Fame, Glory, and Other Things on My to Do List [FAME GLORY & OTHER THINGS ON M]
Fame, Glory, and Other Things on My To Do List

(By the way, do not ever, ever judge a book by its cover. Authors have NO say over their cover or their title. And I mean none.)

And finally, for teens and adults, do not miss this book. You will not be able to put it down, and yes, it has been optioned for a movie by the people who did the Twilight movies, but even despite that, you must read it. I love Kenneth Oppel.

This Dark Endeavor: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein

And if you haven't read his Airborne series yet, for shame. (Just Kidding).

Anyway, I don't know how to let people know that I am blogging again, but spread the word so we can get more people young and old reading!!!!





3 comments:

  1. Yippie!!! I am SO SO glad you are back. I'll give you a shout out on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the link from Robyn's blog. I didn't know you had a blog, but this is a great help to me...We are always looking for good book recommendations for all the ages in our family. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am slow to notice the rss feeds that come straight to my email account because it wasn't until today I noticed yours from the 30th. I, too, am so happy you are blogging again - our family appreciates and loves the books you recommend!! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete