Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Best Christmas Picture Books

First, I would like to invite any illustrator out there to illustrate In the Bleak Midwinter by Christina Rossetti. It is without question, the most beautiful Christmas poem I've ever read. (Not that I've read a ton, but if you haven't read it lately, go read it. Then listen to the beautiful song made of the poem—Shawn Colvin has a lovely version.)

The Gift of the Magi by O Henry (I like the version illustrated by P.J. Lynch)
Room for a Little One by Martin Waddell
O Come, All Ye Faithful by David Christiana
Silent Night by Susan Jeffers
The Nutcracker by Susan Jeffers
The Snow Queen by Amy Erlich
A Small Miracle by Peter Collington (My kids hands down favorite. It's wordless and it still makes me cry.)
The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree by Gloria Houston
Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert Barry
The Night Before Christmas by Clement Moore (I like the edition illustrated by Charles Santore)
The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Anderson (I like the edition illustrated by Jerry Pinkney)

Please add to this list in your comments! I'm always on the lookout for Christmas books to add to the collection.  (Mom, I know you have some good ones...)












1 comment:

  1. Lindsay, I love your blog so much. Just wanted you to know that ou are totally inspiring me and I pass your blog onto people all the time. I want my kids to love books and they are at just the age where they can fall in love. I always go to your blog for suggestions and ideas and inspiration. Thanks!

    I'm trying to find a good picture book to gift to friends this year for Christmas (I always give a children's book as a gift) but I'm having a hard time finding a clear favorite for the year. Any suggestions? Also, I have questions about warehouse sales. Will you email me? saydria at gmail dot com.

    Thanks again for all the inspiration! Wish you guys lived closer!

    ReplyDelete