Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Banjo and a Pirate

I'm getting a bit addicted to the banjo. The topic of bluegrass music and kids and how those two things fit together deserves its own post, but in the meantime, please click here to find a song you wouldn't think a 36 yr old, a 34 yr old, a 12 yr old, an 11 yr old, a 9 yr old, a 7 yr old, and a 5 yr old would ALL love.

But we do.

To listen to an mp3 clip, click here and scroll down to Daddy Played the Banjo
http://www.amazon.com/Crow-Songs-Five-String-Banjo/dp/B0026IZR3E/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1368723709&sr=1-1&keywords=crow+steve+martin

Or watch this Youtube video of Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers performing Daddy Played the Banjo. Start at 2:15 if you want to skip right to the song.


Okay, now for a middle grade book suggestion like I'm supposed to be doing on a Wednesday.

I've just happened upon this series, Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer. And, okay, I didn't start with the first one because I didn't have the first one, but Mississippi Jack (okay, the 5th one) was lots of fun. Pirates and swashbuckling and gangplanks and swords and evading authority and a little history along the way.

Here's the entire series. I'm going to make it a part of my summer reading.

(Speaking of which—any summer reading ideas for kids? I'm going to compile a list to post hopefully next week. )

Bloody Jack Adventures

No comments:

Post a Comment